Good comfort food and I love that this recipe cooks the pasta with everything else, but you need a really big pan. We have a deep 12" pan that we love, but before that, we used a wok. =^)
The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook
- 5 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1.5lbs lean ground beef (We've used ground turkey too)
- 1 onion, chopped medium
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped medium
- 1 rib celery, chopped medium
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tomato sauce (15oz can)
- 1 diced tomatoes (14.5oz can)
- 1.5 cups chicken broth
- 8oz elbow macaroni (2 cups)
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Brown half of the meat, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, for about 5 minutes, then transfer to a medium bowl. Repeat with 1 more teaspoon and the remaining beef.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the empty skillet and return it to medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes
- Stir in the tomato sauce , tomatoes with their juice, the broth, and the browned beef, scraping up any browned bits.
- Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer until the beef and vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the macaroni and continue to cook over low heat, covered and stirring occasionally, until the macaroni is tender, about 20 minutes.