Cook It in Cast Iron
- 6 cups jarred sour cherries in light syrup, drained with 2 cups syrup reserved
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- Pinch salt
- 1 1/2 cups (7 1/2 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons (2 1/4 ounces) granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- FOR THE FILLING: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees. Whisk cherry syrup, sugar, cornstarch, vanilla, allspice, nutmeg, and salt together in bowl until well combined.
- Transfer mixture to 12‐inch cast‐iron skillet and bring to simmer over medium‐high heat. Cook, whisking frequently, until thickened slightly, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Off heat, stir in cherries.
- FOR THE TOPPING: Whisk flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in medium bowl.
- Stir in buttermilk and melted butter until just combined.
- Using spoon, scoop out and drop 1‐inch pieces of dough onto filling, spaced about 1/2 inch apart.
- Sprinkle biscuits with turbinado sugar.
- Transfer skillet to oven and bake until biscuits are golden brown and filling is thick and glossy, 30 to 35 minutes, rotating skillet halfway through baking.