Use two ready-to-use pie crusts to cut down on preparation time!
1 box (10 oz) frozen peas and carrots
1/3 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
2/3 cup milk
2_1/2 to 3 cups cut-up cooked chicken or turkey (we like to use canned chicken)
Pastry for Two-Crust Pie
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Rinse frozen peas and carrots in cold water to separate; drain.
- In 2-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, onion, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is bubbly; remove from heat.
- Stir in broth and milk. Heat to boiling, stiring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute.
- Stir in chicken and peas and carrots; remove from heat.
- Start the rice. (A note to self, since we like our pie on a bed of rice.)
- Ease one crust into 9-inch square pan (we use a round Pyrex pie plate). Pour chicken mixture into pastry-lined pan.
- Cut out designs in remaining pastry. Roll into 11-inch square. Arrange cutouts on pastry. Turn under edges of pastry and flute.
- Bake about 40 minutes or until golden brown.