Tart dried cranberries mingle with apricot jam, adding plenty of fruity flavors to these tasty oat bars.
2 cups uncooked quick cooking oats
1.5 cups all-purpose flour
1.5 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
0.5 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup cold butter
1 (14.25 oz) jar of apricot jam
1 (16 oz) package sweetened dried cranberries (1_1/3 cups)
1 tablespoon freshley grated lemon peel
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all bar ingredients except butter in large bowl; cut in butter until mixture resembles course crumbs.
- Reserve 1 cup crumb mixture.
- Press remaining crumb mixture onto bottom of ungreased 9 x 13 pan. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Combine jam, cranberries and lemon peel in small bowl. Drop cranberry mixture by spoonfuls over hot, partially baked crust. Carefully spread mixture to within 1/4 inch of edge of crust.
- Crumble remaining crumb mixture over filling. Continue baking for 18-25 minutes or until golden brown.
This recipe calls for slivered almonds in the topping, but we never do this, so I skipped that part of the recipe. Feel free to put slivered almonds into the crumb mixture that goes on top.