- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon sugar, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 10 to 12 slices white bread
- Break eggs into a wide, shallow bowl or pie plate; beat lightly with a fork. Stir in sugar, salt, and milk.
Over medium-low heat, heat griddle or skillet coated with a thin layer of butter or margarine.
- Place the bread slices, one at a time, into the bowl or plate, letting slices soak up egg mixture for a few seconds, then carefully turn to coat the other side. Soak/coat only as many slices as you will be cooking at one time.
- Transfer bread slices to griddle or skillet, heating slowly until bottom is golden brown. Turn and brown the other side.
- Serve French toast hot with butter and syrup.