It's a sometimes breakfast.
Taste of Home
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup maple syrup, divided
- 2 tablespoons blueberry preserves
- 16 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Combine the sugar, water and cornstarch until smooth in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 3 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in blueberries; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until berries burst.
- Remove from heat; stir in butter.
- Beat the cream cheese, 2 tablespoons syrup and preserves in a small bowl.
- Spread over eight slices of bread; top with remaining bread.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, flour, vanilla, salt and remaining syrup in a shallow bowl.
- Dip both sides of sandwiches into egg mixture.
- Cook on a greased hot griddle until golden brown on both sides.