We made these for the first time for Valentine's Day 2008 and has been a tradition ever since. Decadent doesn't even begin to describe them.
- Vanilla ice cream
- 3 Ramekins (3.5" diameter and 1.5" deep)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 oz white chocolate, chopped into 3/4 inch pieces (about 1/4 cup) (or do what we do, just use white chocolate chips)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons packed light-brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- Prehead oven to 350 degrees with rack in the center
- Prepare batter: sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt into a medium bowl, and set aside
- Stir together butter, sugar, and vanilla in another medium bowl
- Stir in flour mixure and milk, then the chocolate
- Prepare the topping: Stir sugars in a small bowl, smoothing any lumps. Sift in cocoa powder, stir to combine.
- Place 3 ramekins on a baking sheet. Pour in batter, then sprinkle with topping.
- Pour 1/4 cup boiling water into each remekin.
- Bake until set, 25-28 minutes.
- Top with ice cream, and serve immediately.