- 3 cups instant potato flakes
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup milk
- 3⁄4-1 cup all-purpose flour
- Heat an electric lefse griddle(which we have) or electric skillet to highest temperature.
- DO NOT GREASE GRIDDLE OR SKILLET.
- Measure potato flakes in large bowl.
- In a small saucepan, heat water, salt and margarine to rolling boil.
- Remove from heat, add milk.
- Add liquid to potato flakes and stirr until flakes are moistened)mixture is crumbly).
- Gradually add flour in small amounts to potato mixture.
- Work with hands until a soft dough of rolling consistency forms, AVOID USING TOO MUCH FLOUR.
- Form dough into a roll 10 inches long and 2 inches in diameter.
- Cut roll into 1/2 inch slices.
- Cover dough with plastic wrap while rolling out each lefse.
- On a well floured board or pastry cloth roll out each sli8ce of dough until paper thin.
- transfer lefse to heated griddle using a lefse stick or spatula.
- Bake about 1 minute or until brown spots appear on bottom surface.
- turn and bake other side 30-45 seconds.
- Place lefse between cloth dish towels to prevent drying out.
- repeat with remaining slices.
- cool completely.
- To serve spread with butter and fold in quarters.
- Spread with butter, sprinkle with brpwn sugar and rolls them