America's Test Kitchen Healthy Family Cookbook
- 1/2 cup (3.5oz) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (3.75oz) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (1.75oz) whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup light or dark molasses
- 3 tablesppons dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 375 degrees
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper
- Spread 5 tablespoons of the granulated sugar in a shallow dish for rolling.
- Whisk the all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat
- Stir in the cinnamon, ginger, cloves, allspice, and pepper and cook until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes
- Transfer the butter mixture to a large bowl and let cool slightly.
- Whisk the remining 3 tablespoons grandulated sugar, molasses, brown sugar, egg yolk, and vanilla into the melted butter until smooth.
- Stir in the flour mixture until combined.
- Working with the 1 heaping tablespoon of dough at a time, roll the dough into balls with wet handd, then roll in the sugar to coat.
- Lay the balls on the prepared baking sheets, spaced about 2.5" apart.
- Bake the cookies, one sheet at a time, until the edges are set and beginning to brown but the centers are still soft, puffy, and underdone, 9 to 12 minutes, rotating the baking sheet halfway through baking.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes, then serve warm or transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
Per cookie: Cal 100; Fat 4g; Sat Fat 3g; Chol 20mg; Carb 16g; Protein 1g; Fiber 0g; Sodium 55mg