- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Pound boneless chicken beasts (2-3) sliced thin & washed thoroughly
- 1 Leek, halved lengthwise & sliced thin
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 2 tsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup dry white wine
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 bunch (1 #) asparagus cut on bias 1” long
- 12 oz. Penne pasta
- 2 Tablespoons basil
- Heat 1 ½ teaspoons oil over high heat in fry pan. Add chicken & cook until lightly browned but not fully cooked (about 3 minutes). Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the remaining 1 ½ teaspoons oil to the skillet & return to medium heat until simmering. Add the leek & cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic & thyme & cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Stir in the flour & cook for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the broth & wine, bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened (about 15 minutes).
- Return the chicken to the skillet. Simmer until the chicken is cooked through (1 minute). Remove from heat, stir in Parmesan, lemon zest, & lemon juice. Season w/ salt & pepper to taste.
- Bring 4 quarts water to boil. Add asparagus & 1 Tablespoon salt & cook, stirring often, until asparagus is crisp tender (2-4 minutes). Remove asparagus with slotted spoon, & drain on a paper towel.
- Return water to boil, add pasta & cook, stirring often, until al dente. Reserve ½ cup of cooking water & drain pasta.
- Add chicken mixture, asparagus & basil to pasta & toss to combine. Add reserved cooking water if needed to thin broth.