- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups frozen peas, carrots, and corn
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1.5 lb ground beef or 1 lb lamb
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 cup beef stock
- 4 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 egg, beaten
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, vegetables, thyme and cook, stirring often, until the onions are translucent and the carrots are just tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the beef and the lamb and cook, breaking the meat up with a spoon, until it is no longer pink.
- Add the tomato paste and stir, cooking until it is well combined, another 2 to 3 minutes. Sprinkle the pepper and flour over the mixture and cook for 1 minute. Add the beef stock and cook, stirring, until the liquid has thickened slightly.
- Remove from heat and pour into 9" x 13" pan.
- Spoon or pipe the mashed potatoes over top. Brush with egg.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the potato is browned on top.