- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated peeled ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 scallion green, thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon white peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 2 pounds tuna steaks (1 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Stir together soy sauce, water, lime juice, ginger, sugar, and scallion.
- Coarsely crush peppercorns and coriander with a mortar and pestle or heavy skillet. Sprinkle tuna with 3/4 tsp salt, then press spice mixture evenly all over fish.
- Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers, then sear tuna, turning once, about 6 minutes on each side for medium-rare.
- Serve with dipping sauce.
Per serving: 318 calories, 9 g fat (1 g saturated), 101 mg cholesterol, 1197 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, 53 g protein